Job Vacancy – Construction & Contracts Manager
1. Scope and General Purpose:
The Construction & Contract Manager is responsible for overseeing the end-to-end construction processes, from the pre-construction design phase right through to project handover. S/he is responsible for overseeing the budgeting, organisation, implementation and scheduling of all ongoing construction Projects for Shamal Group Limited (“the Company”).
S/he is also responsible for creating, managing, monitoring and implementing project controls and procedures in relation to all contract management issues, ensuring compliance with the policies, procedures and terms & conditions set by the Company, in conjunction with the Legal Department and Project Management office.
2. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the installation, testing, commissioning and coordination with construction contractors.
- Support the estimation and scoping of MEP trades during the pre-construction phase.
- Manage and lead the Main Contractor throughout duration of the project (from ground-breaking through to commissioning of the build and handover to the client).
- Liaise with the Managing Director of Operations the Head of Design on the construction and design programmes, to aid the development of the detailed CPM schedules for all installation activities, including cost and resource loading.
- Contribute to the value engineering of all required projects.
- Oversee and act as final approver of Material and Equipment (MAR), Method Statements (MS), Request for Further Information (RFI), Change Requests (CR) related to all construction activities including MEP prior to installation.
- Monitor the installation, start-up and commissioning of all mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Coordinate the procurement of materials and other related activities in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate progress and prepare appropriate reports for internal and external stakeholders, as required.
- Represent the Company regarding the construction process at weekly Contractors’ meetings, ensuring adherence to agreed timeframes and contractual requirements.
- Support with the identification and supervision of Main Contractor staff, as required, monitoring their performance throughout the construction process.
- Lead and direct the 3-D coordination process to resolve all conflicts prior to start of installations.
- Supervise review and coordinate submittals and shop drawings.
- Work closely with the Legal department to oversee the entire lifecycle of the contracts’ administration process, from drafting to execution.
- Negotiate the terms and conditions of the contracts with the best interests of the Company in mind.
- Ensure compliance with terms and conditions during the entire end-to-end design and construction lifecycle, from inception through to project delivery.
- Manage record keeping for all contract-related correspondence and documentation, including (but not limited to) proper interpretation and implementation of administrative requirements.
- Act as the primary point of contact for all project related contractual matters, ensuring issues of legal compliance are escalated to the Legal department as and when appropriate for forward action.
- Ensure an outstanding working knowledge of the contracts related to each and every project, to the extent that any violations of the contract are immediately identifiable.
- Work closely with the contractor (and Contract Manager on the contractor’s side) to identify and mitigate any potential risks to upholding the contract.
- Working with the Quantity Surveyor/Cost Control Manager, ensure all procurement and reconciliation of materials are carried out in accordance with the contract.
- Review, assess and value all contract variations and make recommendations for action in accordance with contract Terms and Conditions.
- Document any changes and amendments that may arise during the contract period, ensuring a full and detailed log of issues is held centrally.
- Review and coordinate, alongside the Legal department, the settlement of claims, resolution of dispute and contract change negotiations.
- Assists in contract close-out, extension or renewal procedures to ensure that all terms and conditions of the contracts have been complied with prior to final payment to contractors.
- Ensure that any contractual documentation that binds the company is reviewed and approved by the Legal department prior to being issued.
- Work to ensure all stakeholders who are bound by Terms & Conditions listed in the contract are fully aware of their responsibilities for adhering to such guidance and the potential risks of non-compliance.
- Act as the first point of contact for any queries and clarifications related to project contracts.
- Work with all relevant departments to produce and analyse progress reports that map the progression against any and all metrics identified in the contracts.
- Support with the assessment and settlement of claims, variation orders and disputes between the Company and external partners and suppliers, recommending actions to Senior Management as requested.
3. Leadership Responsibilities
- To act as an instrumental part of the Senior Leadership team, supporting the progress of both the Shamal corporate entity and all ongoing projects.
- Ensure support is given to all other Departments within the Company, providing information as and when requested within an appropriate and agreed timeframe, to facilitate the delivery of business-critical operations.
- Set and monitor goals and/or KPIs for Direct Reports, ensuring each goal supports overall business direction.
- Manage team workload and responsibilities (delegating where necessary) to ensure all work is completed in a timely manner and to the required standard.
- Oversee the identification of risks across all areas of the business, relating to the operation of the company and its Projects, reporting them to the relevant Department Head and/or Project Advisory Board (PAB) in a timely and detailed manner.
- Oversee the identification of opportunities across all areas of the business relating to the operation of the company and its Projects, raising them to the relevant Department Head and/or the Project Advisory Board (PAB) as necessary.
- Advise and communicate with all Stakeholders on the requirements of team obligations and/or constraints in the development of the company’s Projects.
- Present ideas effectively and to be able to communicate and evaluate the ideas of others in a logical and holistic manner.
- Ensure the continual development of employees within the Design and Construction team, understanding and encouraging individual capabilities.
- Listen to all feedback from employees within the Design and Construction team resolving any issues or conflicts as necessary.
- Take responsibility for developing and maintaining a positive culture and effective working environment, both individually and within the Design and Construction team, in line with Shamal’s guiding values.
4. General Responsibilities
- Be respectful and courteous to colleague, clients and other stakeholders at all times, supporting a positive Company image and culture.
- Support the facilitation of constructive inter-departmental relations through adequate communication and understanding of different job roles.
- Demonstrate pride in the workplace and personal appearance at all times when representing the Company.
- Always adhere to Company rules and regulations, policies and processes.